GETTING FAMILIAR WITH YOUR CYCLE
The female reproductive cycles which can also be called sexual cycles commences at puberty and continues throughout reproductive years.
Types of cycle
1) ovarian cycle (follicular)
2) menstrual cycle (uterine)
It takes place in the follicles of the ovary and consist of three (3) phases
A) follicular phase: the follicles develops and get mature for ovulation.
B) ovulation: it's the release of a matured eggfrom the ovary, this occurs around mid cycle (about 14days in a 28days menstrual cycle), this is when the level of oestrogen rises to it's peak giving you more urge for sexual acts.
C) luteal phase: if fertilization do not occur, it produces corpus luteum of menstruation.
It also occur in three (3) phases and takes place inside the uterus.
1) menstrual phase:This occurs between day 1 to 5 of menstrual cycle, this is when bleeding occur as a result of shedding off of the uterine wall.
2) progestational phase (day 14 to 27): corpus luteum is also formed but once the egg is fertilized it turns to corpus luteum of pregnancy which aids the production of progesterone hormone to support pregnancy.
3) ischemic phase: occurs in the last two days of the cycle(27-28) when there is no fertilization, i.e no pregnancy, the blood vessel(spiral artery) that was destroyed during bleeding constricts and rupture causing another bleeding, another cycle counts from there. About 20 to 80mls of blood over 3 to 5 days are discarded through menses.
USING 28 DAYS CYCLE
1, 2, 3 (MENSTRUATION)
4,5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (SAFE PERIODS)
MOST FERTILE PHASE:
10, 11,12,13, ( OVULATION 14), 15,16,17. 18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28. (SAFE PERIOD)